Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Spontaneous by Aaron Starmer

I'm home from my back east travels and will be getting back into the swing of things with reading and reviewing, I'm sure.  While there, I didn't do much reading or listening, but I did do some.  I had a DNF, which I'll talk about in another post, I finished listening to two books (one of which I've already reviewed and the other which I will review soon) and I started a hugely long book that I think I probably will finish but am not feeling the pull to read right now.  I don't always get a lot of reading in on planes because I have a tendency to get motion sick on plains.  My flights today, though, were pretty smooth and I was able to finish Spontaneous.

Spontaneous is the story of a class of high school seniors who start spontaneously combusting.  We get the story from Mara's point of view.  Mara is clever, sarcastic, has a dark sense of humor and is a little bit of a dabbler in the arts of partying.  When people start exploding, theories abound, a romance blossoms and the students each cope in their own ways.

I didn't like Mara as much as I wanted to.  I didn't find her laugh out loud funny, but I did find her entertaining.  I'd been told this book was extremely hilarious but I didn't find that it was for me.  I thought the idea was interesting, but I sort of thought that Aaron tried to cover too much in one short book with things ranging from conspiracy theories to science to friendship to love and lust.  I think it would have been improved with a little pruning and more focus on fewer ideas.

I did find Spontaneous to be pretty readable and I mostly enjoyed it, but I didn't think it was great.  Also, I thought it was an enjoyable romp for being about people exploding, but not really funny per say.  So, take from that what you will.

I'm off to tutor math on four hours of sleep after a week and a half of already accruing a substantial sleep deficit.  Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment