Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany and Jack Thorne

I finally got around to reading Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.  I kind of wish I hadn't.  I am a fan of the Harry Potter books.  I read or listened to the first four probably a good 10 times in part because the audio books became our go-to car entertainment for many years while Davan went through a serious Harry Potter phase and in part because I liked them so much myself.  I read the last three fewer times.  In fact, I only read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows the once.  I also like many things Harry Potter.  For a while, I collected Harry Potter cards and made my family play with me.  I did not, however, like the movies.  At all.  I wanted to give up watching them after the third, but I did give up watching them after the fourth.  Many years later, Davan, Lena, Anthony and I watched the last several together after Davan and Lena watched the first three.  I still didn't like them, but I guess I'm glad I didn't like them from a more knowledgeable place.  I feel the same about Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

I'm not going to go over the plot line on this one.  Either you've read it or I don't want to spoil you.  I will say that I disliked most decisions that nearly everyone made and I felt they weren't very consistent with the characters I loved in the original books.  I felt that bringing some characters in was purely about touching the bases and not only didn't mean anything, but took away from the book.  It read, in my opinion, like fan fiction and not strictly cannon fan fiction at that.

The one thing I did like that happened very early on, so it's not very spoiler-y to say is when Albus decided to be friends with Scorpius.  I thought that was awesome and I felt it was a J.K. move.

If I could call myself a true Harry Potter fan without having read this book, I'd wish I hadn't.  However, because it exists, it felt necessary to read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment