Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Dreamer's Pool by Juliet Marillier

I picked up Dreamer's Pool after having seen it referred to by a book vlogger.  I no longer remember which one, unfortunately, as this is one of the books that's been sitting on my self for months.  I wish I remembered which book vlogger it was because I'd like to see if that vlogger and I have other books we like in common.

Dreamer's Pool is a fantasy novel told from three points of view.  The first is Blackthorn, whose been in a horrible jail for a year and, on the eve of her hearing first has her life threatened and then is offered a deal by one of the fey.  He'll see to her release if she'll agree to travel to a new kingdom and stay for 7 years, abandoning her hopes for vengeance.  She'll also have to help anyone who asks and use her powers for good.  Grim, a fellow prisoner, escapes and follows her, becoming the first to ask for help, although he doesn't realize it himself.  They travel together to Dalriada where the crown prince, Oran (our third point of viewer), is about to meet his fiance with whom he has been writing letters and falling in love in spite of it being a politically advantageous marriage.  When Oran's fiance arrives, there seems to be something very wrong and no one believes Oran.  Meanwhile, Blackthorn and Grim have been settling into local life and Blackthorn has been giving good advice. 

Although sometimes the plot devices seemed maybe a wee bit thin, I liked this book.  While Oran is besotted, romance isn't the key thing moving the book along.  Blackthorn is as prickly as her name and yet I liked her.  The friendship between her and Grim is sweet to see.  I did want to keep reading to see what would happen next.  I got rather ticked at how Blackthorn reacts to something toward the end that I won't say so as not to spoil things, but I can also see how she'd have reacted the way she did.

Overall, Dreamer's Pool was an enjoyable read and I've already put a hold on the next in the Blackthorn and Grim series.

No comments:

Post a Comment