Saturday, September 10, 2016

Winning by Lara Deloza

I did also manage to finish one whole book this week.  I picked up Winning because I tend to be a little competitive so I thought I'd give it a go.

Winning takes place in a high school where Alexandra reigns supreme.  She is conniving and unabashed in her using of other people to get her where she wants to go.  The cast of characters include her lesbian best friend whose job it is to keep Alexandra's hands clean, a girl whom she destroyed socially sophomore year, and a girl who had a very public breakdown in the middle of biology freshman year.  We get the story from each of these girls' point of view.  While there are other players, the one other person who I'd say is a main character is transfer student Erin.  We don't really know what Erin's deal is.  She seems nice and likable, but at times, also like she's playing the game.  When Erin shows up, Alexandra decides she needs a plan to insure she'll become homecoming queen.

I think this book had great potential.  I liked the intrigue and how we're kept guessing a bit about who wants what exactly.  However, I also thought there was great potential for cleverness and wit that was largely squandered.  Thus I ended up feeling kind of meh about the book.  It was good enough to finish but not much more.  The ending was left with room for a sequel that I'm not sure I'll pick up.

No comments:

Post a Comment