Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Gatefather by Orson Scott Card (DNF)

Orson Scott Card.  I have such conflicted feelings about him.  I don't love all his books.  I've considered boycotting them all together due to his stances on homosexuality.  However, then there is Ender's Game.  And the Shadow Series, starting with Ender's Shadow.  Whenever I'm asked to come up with a list of favorite books, Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow are on it.  I don't ever forget to include them.  I love these books.

Enter the picture The Lost Gate.  I felt a little mixed about it.  I liked much of it.  Overall, I think Orson Scott Card does story telling well for me.  I wanted to read it, to find out what was going to happen.  I had some issues with over explaining and some issues with attitudes toward sex, but, as happens with books I like, it didn't overpower the story for me.  I still like it.

So, I read the next book in the series, The Gate Thief.  This issues became more and more glaring to me, but I finished.  Next up, Gatefather, which recently was released.  I'm no longer sucked into the story.  All I see are the problems.  I'm sick of the over explaining.  I'm sick of the attitudes toward sex.  I think Card is trying to be realistic as to how teens feel about sex, but it's just wrong.  Either they want it, but are waiting or they want it and are promiscuous.  Everything feels like moralizing.  So, I'm done.  I didn't finish Gatefather.

No comments:

Post a Comment