Friday, May 20, 2016

Tell Me Again How a Crush Should Feel by Sara Farizan

I really, really like this book.  This was actually a reread for me.  I read it the first time a couple years ago when it first came out and recommended it to Davan, who also really enjoyed it.  She recently reread it and referenced it in a conversation and I decided to give it a reread myself.  I'm glad I did, I enjoyed it very much this time through, as well.

Tell Me Again How a Crush Should Feel is the story of Leila, a high school junior who, over the summer, has come to grips with the fact she's a lesbian.  However, she is so not out.  She's worried about what her parents, Persian immigrants, will take the news.  Her private school is small and she's not sure she's ready for the repercussions of being out there.  When a new girl starts school two weeks into term, events unfold that lead to changes for Leila. 

The humor in this book really works for me.  I smiled much of the time I was reading it and, at times, laughed out loud.  I both like Leila and find her exasperating, but in a way that is familiar to me in a Davan-ish sort of way, which makes me like her even more, really.  I like the girl she ultimately crushes on.

I think Tell Me Again How a Crush Should Feel is a coming of age story ultimately.  Leila is discovering who she is, where she belongs and about the truths of some of the people around her. 

While this is not a universally loved book judging by the ratings I've seen out there (not bad, but not great), I beg to differ.  It's really good and well worth a feel-good read.  It's also a super fast read, so you're not going to be investing too much time if you disagree.  Heck, if you disagree, feel free to set it aside and move on, as I do with so many books.

No comments:

Post a Comment