Friday, May 13, 2016

Mosquitoland by David Arnold

Mosquitoland is yet another YA novel in a long line of them I've been reading.  YA is a favorite of mine, but I do like other genres, as well.  It just so happens I'm working through a bunch of books that caught my eye on a recent trip to Powell's, so we'll all just have to live with that.

I picked up Mosquitoland because it's the book of the month for the Powell's YA book group.  I listened to it in audiobook form.  I liked it.  I did not love it, but I liked it.

Mosquitoland is the story of Mim who travels from her new place of residence in Mississippi where she's living with her father and new step mother to Cleveland to see her mom.  There are mysteries about what exactly is going on in Mim's life which are reveled as she takes her journey.  Of course, things happen along the way.  She meets new friends and strange characters with both good and bad results.

I liked Mim well enough, even though some things she did made me roll my eyes (Attempting to flush letters down a bus toilet?  Seriously?) and in many ways she was a stereotypical (for these days in the YA-verse) smart but messed up teen girl.  I'm kind of a sucker for clever, though, so I liked her anyway.  Mostly.

I don't want to say much more about the plot, as I think it's better to have things just unfold in this book.  So, I'll finish with:  quick read, clever main character, and a plot that I cared about.  Mostly.

No comments:

Post a Comment