Monday, November 7, 2016

Dear Data by Giorgia Lupi and Stefanie Posavec

I heard about Dear Data on the Note to Self podcast.  I was intrigued.  The premise is that Giorgia and Stefanie send each other one self created post card a week.  Each week they decide on some item of data to track. How many times they looked at their phones.  Physical contact. Complaints.  Each woman created her own system for displaying the data.  What emerges are weekly pieces of art with meaning.  On one side of the postcard, there is the picture.  On the other, a legend telling what the picture means.

I was super excited to sit down with Dear Data and check it out.  What I ended up discovering, though, is that this would make an excellent coffee table book.  I can totally see picking it up with a spare moment, flipping through and checking out a week.  I think I'd enjoy it as that.  As a book from the library to read and return?  Not so much.  There is just too much to each week.  I could really only process a few weeks at a time.  I spent some time flipping through Dear Data in a couple of sessions.  It's great.  But, it's not engaging in a sit down and read it cover to cover way.

No comments:

Post a Comment