Saturday, November 12, 2016

Gracefully Grayson by Ami Polonsky

I'd read George not too long ago and had heard that Gracefully Grayson was basically the same book.  I only thought George was okay, so I put off reading Gracefully Grayson.  It recently came to my attention again and I decided I'd go ahead and give it a go.  It's a short read, so I started it last night and finished it this morning.

There are a lot of similarities between George and Gracefully Grayson.  In both books, we have a transgender girl.  That is, a kid who was born with a male body but is actually a girl inside.  In both cases, the kids audition for a girl part in a school play.  Also, in both, they're hiding who they really are at the beginning and are making strong starts toward being true to themselves by the end. 

However, the feel of Gracefully Grayson was different for me.  It's for a slightly older audience and Grayson felt more like a real kid to me.  I felt a lot for Grayson and cried a bit in parts.  I simply felt more connected to Grayson and the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment