Saturday, November 5, 2016

Nightshifted by Cassie Alexander

My library has a new thing where you can click on "something new" and it makes suggestions, but different suggestions than the ones I usually see.  When I did that a few days ago, it suggested a book called Moonshifted.  Now, Moonshifted is the second in a series, so clearly there are some flaws with the "something new" system, but I've been known to like paranormal.  I don't have a particular allegiance to any one genre, I'm more about story telling and characters.  So, I found the first book and opted to give it a try.  The first one is Nightshifted.  I listened to it in audiobook form, as that was what I was looking for at the time.  I've got way too many books in my too be read pile to be looking for a book-book right now.  And yet, I continue to put books on hold.  It's a problem.  Anyway.  Nightshifted.

Nightshifted is the story of Eddie Spence who works for the county hospital on their paranormal floor.  Being just a regular human girl, this is an odd turn of events, but when she was offered the position in exchange for her junky brother (who kept overdosing) clean, she couldn't turn it down.  When she winds up saving a girl (or, perhaps, something more dangerous) from some vampires, killing one in the process, she's scheduled for trial. A trial that is most likely a farce and, if convicted, will mean death. She is a strong minded, take care of yourself sort of woman, but she managed to collect assorted help along the way.

I really liked Nightshifted.  I was, frankly, surprised by how much I liked it, as it seems really under the radar.  I usually liked Eddie, but occasionally found her to be a bit annoying.  The story moved right along.  The writing was engaging.  The look at nursing seemed...well, medically probable, at least if you were doing medical procedures on the paranormal.  I thought the secondary characters had a range of being fleshed out that made sense in the context of the story. 

One things that annoyed me was the fact that Eddie's brother called her "Sissy."  Shudder.  Also, I had a little bit of a hard time with the zombie romance on principle, but, the way this zombie was presented (no rotting) helped me get over that.  Also, I'm much more of a tough love person than Eddie is, as shown by her relationship with her brother.  That was one of the things that annoyed me about her, but not everyone has to be me, so I didn't fixate on that too much.  While I liked the medical theme throughout the books, there was a lot of stereotyping of nurses in a ways that are definitely not 100%.

So, while Nightshifted wasn't my favorite ever read, it was quite good and enjoyable for me.  I'm already listening to Moonshifted.

No comments:

Post a Comment