Saturday, November 5, 2016

Lumberjanes Volume 1

Of the three reviews I've posted today, Lumberjanes is the only one I actually finished today.  The other two I finished yesterday, but didn't have time to post.  Today, though, is a lazy, rainy Saturday here in Portland, so I've got time to catch up (in addition to watching Big Bang Theory because Anthony and I just realized there are actually two seasons out on DVD we haven't seen - score!).  Lumberjanes is a graphic novel I'd heard good things about, so decided to give it a go.  As I mentioned when I read Saga, I'm not a big graphic novel reader.  But, Saga went well, so why not try another?

Lumberjanes is the story of 5 girls who are at Lumberjane camp (Friendship to the Max!) for the summer.  They have adventures in friendship and of a supernatural sort.  That pretty much sums it up.

I had a little bit of a hard time getting into Lumberjanes.  It was a mix of it being a graphic novel, which is a bit of a challenging form for me, and the seemingly out of the blue nature of the supernatural stuff.  In spite of that, I figured I'd keep reading, as it's pretty short.  I was rewarded for that by getting to know these characters a little and seeing their relationships develop.  I came to like these girls and was glad I'd stuck with it.  I'm think I may even move on with the series.  However, I have to be honest and say that's partially because they're such quick reads, so I can follow the characters without too much time investment.  Plus, I feel like it's good for me to expand my horizons.

No comments:

Post a Comment