Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Far From Home by Lorelie Brown

Far From Home is a romance between Rachel, recovering anorexic, deeply in debt and ostensibly straight, and Pari who is in need of a green card.  Rachel, from whose point of view the story is told, blurts out "I would marry you," at a party.  Pari, who is comfortable financially, thinks this is an idea to explore.  Faster than I would have thought such a decision should be made, they hatch a plan and move in together.  This plan gives Rachel some financial relief and Pari a marriage leading to citizenship.  However, as they do, things get more complicated.  In addition to the romance and impending marriage, there is the underlying issue of Rachel's struggle with anorexia.

I found Far From Home a fairly enjoyable, quick read.  It progresses much like you might think and I found it very readable.  For me, the sex talk was a little more raw than is my cup of tea, but I'm pretty vanilla, so take that with a grain of salt.  What I didn't love was that everything happened so quickly.  It was pretty close to instalove in my opinion.  Yes, these two were living together, but they also spent a lot of time avoiding each other, not building a relationship, even though Rachel is very quickly, it seems, in love.  It seemed more like infatuation, which, to be fair, they both sort of acknowledge, but then I didn't really see how it could have moved past that given the interactions we saw.  In general, it was the shortness of this book that I felt lead to the things I didn't care for:  not quite enough relationship development, not enough character development of secondary characters, not quite enough of Rachel's work situation.

So, as is often the case with books and me, I liked it but didn't love it.  If you're working your way through the lesbian romance genre, I wouldn't skip this one.  If not, I don't know that this would be one I'd have you seek out.

No comments:

Post a Comment