Monday, July 25, 2016

Data and Goliath by Bruce Schneier

I really got into Data and Goliath!  This non-fiction book is all about what happens with our data and surveillance in general by both business and government.  This doesn't seem like that cool a topic even to me, although I am sometimes a data geek because I'm a fan of statistics, but I found myself going to Anthony or Davan with snippets from this book nearly constantly because it was so interesting. 

I will tell you that I found the first part of Data and Goliath to be the most interesting while the second half (roughly) was less so for me.  Bruce starts with what is happening with our data now.  Then he moves onto solutions for government, solutions for business and solutions for the rest of us.  I think I'm just not paranoid enough nor political enough to care that much about the solutions.  Sad to say, but true.  Even so, the first part was fascinating.

If you pick this book up, don't be too daunted by its size.  The last fourth or so is all notes and index.  Keeping that in mind, pick it up.  You may be surprised by how much it sucks you in.

No comments:

Post a Comment