Sunday, July 10, 2016

Saga by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples

I have to say that I'm not a big graphic novel fan.  Even The Invention of Hugo Cabret was too picture driven for me to really get into it.  However, every now and then I am intrigued enough to try a graphic novel and, occasionally, I even like it.  Drama is the only one I can think of off the top of my head that has fit into this category before.  Now Saga is another.

I liked Saga, which is the story of a couple who come from feuding races and have a child together.  From the moment their baby is born, they are on the run, as both races are after them and all planets (yes, it's SciFi) have chosen a side in the war.  We see the story from their points of view during which we also hear from the baby as a narrator from the future as well as the points of view of a couple of the folks who are after them. 

This is quite the adult graphic novel.  There is a lot of violence as well as some explicit sex.  Some of each of those categories made me squirm a bit.

I was captivated, though, and practically read Saga book one, which contains the first 18 issues, in a single sitting.  I did read it completely this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment