Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton (DNF)

Rebel of the Sands is a fine book.  Reading it would be a fine way to pass the time.  I, however, like to be excited about my books and want to read more than I want to do most anything else.  Because of this quirk of mine, I'm setting Rebel of the Sands away after reading about half.

Rebel of the Sands is about Amani who lives in the desert nation of Miraji, which seems to be a fantasy land that draws from both Arabian and old western themes.  She wants to escape her small town where her parents are dead, her aunt has taken her on, but hates her and she has only one friend.  What she's got going for her is that she is a superior marksman.  She meets a foreigner, tames and wild horse and takes off.

The thing I liked most about this book, I'll be honest, is the dedication which is to the author's parents and is awesome.  I also liked the concept.  I do like strong women.  But...

I didn't connect with Amani.  I found her witty banter to be...not my type of wit.  I kept getting caught in the odd mix of Arabian and old western.  The story just didn't flow for me.  Also, glancing through the remainder of the book I see that one of the loose ends from the beginning doesn't get solved, which is bothersome to me.  I also see that my early predictions about the foreigner come true (but, let's face it, that's not that unusual when you read a lot).

I can see why this book would work for some.  It doesn't for me.  Moving on.

No comments:

Post a Comment