Sunday, July 31, 2016

To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

Wow - I see it's been more than a few days since I finished my last book.  I've started a couple that I don't know if I'm going to finish for sure or not.  I've not been listening to books because I've had so little time to listen that I've gotten partway through a couple of books and then had to return them.  One I gave up on (and wrote about), the other I've put another hold on it and will finish it when it comes back to me.  I've also been busy with, you know, life.  We've been camping, went on a one day rafting trip, had company and there's the whole taking the French class thing.  Anyway, today I've had a large chunk of down time and, in that time, I started and finished a book.  I would have worked on one of the other books I've started, but I got a notice from the library this one was due back and wouldn't renew, so I decided to give it a go.


Lara Jean has a thing where she writes letters to boys she likes to help her move on when she has a crush.  Once she writes the letters, they go in a hat box her mom gave her.  They are never indented to be seen by anyone and certainly not the boys to whom they're addressed.  When her letters get sent off (not her doing), things, of course, go awry.  Meanwhile, life goes on with her two sisters, the older one of whom has just left for college in Scotland, leaving a huge gap in her family's life and her to be the big sister to their little sister when that's been her older sister's role since their mother's death.  A busy but caring father rounds out the family.

I enjoyed To All the Boys I've Loved Before.  I liked Lara Jean.  There were a few things that annoyed me about her, but that's probably a more realistic character.  Mostly, I liked her.  I enjoyed her family and their various dynamics as well as the dynamics with the boy next door and some of the other letter recipients.  I like Jenny Han's writing style.  I found To All the Boys I've Loved Before to be very readable.  It was a fast, enjoyable read for a lazy summer afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment