Friday, July 15, 2016

More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera

I was up until midnight last night finishing More Happy Than Not.  Seeing as how 11pm is my usual cut off for lights out and, frequently, it's more like 10:30, that's saying something.  I started More Happy Than Not a few days ago and read it rather sporadically, it having been a busy few days.  Last night, though, when I finally got around to reading around 10:30, I was in it from about the middle until finished.

More Happy Than Not is set in the Bronx in the near future and is told from the point of view of Aaron, a teenage boy with a girlfriend he's crazy about, some okay friends, a mom and a brother with whom he shares an one bedroom apartment after the recent suicide of his father.  He's okay, but also has a recent suicide attempt in his recent past.  Enter Thomas, a new friend.  As this friendship develops, Aaron learns new things about himself and what he wants.  Also in the picture is Leteo Institute which can wipe out certain memories.  A friend from the neighborhood, for example, was taken there to forget his twin brother who died.  When things get back, Aaron considers Leteo for himself.

As I said, after about half way, I just had to finish.  I had to know what was going to happen.  I won't say more because, well, spoilers, but this was a compelling read with some interesting takes on mental health.  I found the end somewhat realistic and also somewhat depressing.  Still, I recommend More Happy Than Not.  It was a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment