Thursday, July 21, 2016

Kill the Boy Band by Goldy Moldavsky

I'd actually started Kill the Boy Band before picking up Ugly Love, but had set it aside to read Ugly Love because of a due date situation.  So, once I finished Ugly Love and came back to it, I was quickly finished.

I liked Kill the Boy Band, which surprised me.  I mean, yes, I'd picked it up to read so I must have thought I'd like it on some level, but it isn't the sort of book that usually calls to me.  I'd seen a blurb about it and half thought, "Interesting" and the other half, "Kind of stupid," so I wasn't really sure which way it'd go. 

Kill the Boy Band is told in first person by a die hard fan of The Ruperts, the latest phenom boy band.  She is friends with three other Strepurs (Ruperts fans), each of whom has a favorite of the four and each with her one peculiar quirks.  Over Thanksgiving weekend, they go in on a hotel room together in the hotel where The Ruperts are staying while giving a concert in New York.  When one of them has an unexpected encounter with her favorite Rupert, things get out of hand.

It's part fangirl chaos, part thriller and part a hard look at fan dome.  One of its blurbs says, "hilarious," but I have to say I don't agree with that.  There were a couple of funny bits, but it was much more thriller/train wreck watching than hilarious.  Still, it was a train wreck I was wanting to see through.  I couldn't wait to read what was going to happen next for most of the book.

I've never been a huge celebrity follower (although I've gotten super geeky about some things  - Harry Potter comes to mind and I was an adult then).  I've only really had one celebrity fascination it wasn't/isn't enough that I've gone to a con even, so I can't say I've felt what these girls feel.  I've never cared that passionately and it was a bit surprising to see.  I think it's fairly realistic in that regard, considering some of the celebrity following I have noticed.

At any rate, it was an interesting and different sort of read.  I'm not sure it'd appeal to all, but I liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment