Sunday, June 19, 2016

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah (DNF)

I picked up Firefly Lane because I saw it on a best books about female friendship list.  I didn't care for it.  I read maybe a third of it, but it was a push to even get that far.  It's not horrible.  However, it is pretty cliched.  I was ready to set it down almost right away when I first encountered Katie's mother telling her (paraphrasing here), "You think I don't know anything now, but you'll change your mind later, right about the time you're looking for a babysitter."  Katie answers, "What are you talking about?"  This is such a worn out trope.  And, frankly, the teen girls I know are aware it and wouldn't ask, "What are you talking about?"  Unfortunately, this sort of thing continues as we follow loved, mostly rule following but slightly chaffing at the restrictions, Kate and her best friend, repeatedly abandoned by her mother, wild Tully.  I was both a little bored and repeatedly annoyed by all the well worn groves this sort of story provides.

No comments:

Post a Comment