Thursday, June 2, 2016

The Girls from Corona del Mar by Rufi Thorpe

I listened to this book after hearing it was a great book for female friendships.  And I'll say....yes with a caveat.

The Girls from Corona del Mar told from the point of view of Mia whose best friend is Lorrie Ann.  The story starts when they are both 15 and follows mostly Mia, but also Lorrie Ann through Mia to their early 30s.  Mia thinks that Lorrie Ann is the more stable and kind of the two when they are teenagers, but, by the time the book ends, Mia has had a more...normal, I guess, life.  That isn't to say boring, but, generally, things work out for Mia.  For Lorrie Ann?  Not so much.  This in spite of the book opening with Mia having an abortion after a sexual encounter she has to "get it over with" with a boy she doesn't even like.  Then things go on.  Mia starts off really self absorbed.  Lorrie Ann becomes a mess. 

I was intrigued enough by this book to finish it.  To say I enjoyed it might not be accurate, though.  It was, at times, like not being able to look away from a train wreck.  I didn't like what was happening, but I didn't want to stop listening.  And this kept happening.  And there wasn't as much counterbalance of redemption as I usually want in a story that has such lows. 

As far as the friendship goes, this wasn't a healthy friendship.  This wasn't a friendship you want to have for yourself.  It was kind of messed up, but probably more accurate in some ways for being so.

So, would I recommend it?  Maybe.  Depends on the reader.  I certainly won't be rereading it, but I'm also not sorry I spent time with The Girls from Corona del Mar.

No comments:

Post a Comment