Friday, June 10, 2016

Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins

I don't know how I missed Rebel Belle when it first came out two years ago, but I'm just glad I've found it now.  It was such a good, fun read.  If you like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, you'll probably like Rebel Belle.  It's fun, supernatural, modern fiction.  No vampires, though.  It's not Buffy, just the same feel.  Kick ass teen girl, humor, that sort of thing.

Harper is a high achieving high school junior at a Southern private school.  She's top of her class, the class president, cheerleader, generally a super overachiever.  She's at her homecoming where she is a shoe in for homecoming queen (yeah, I know, I expected to hate her, too, but I did not) when she stumbles into a very strange situation in which (the front panel will tell you) she becomes a paladin (super protector) to...someone she hates, of course.

I did find many things to be predictable in the story, but it didn't bother me because I was having so much fun.  I listened to Rebel Belle, which I ended up liking, but the strong southern accent almost put me off at first.  I've got the next one on hold and am planning on listening to it, as well, so if you feel the same about southern accents but enjoy audio books, maybe try to push through.

No comments:

Post a Comment