Wednesday, June 1, 2016

The Game of Love and Death by Martha Brockenbrough (DNF)

I didn't finish this book.  I read about a third of it, skimmed a bit, decided I didn't want to finish and didn't.

The Game of Love and Death is about Love and Death who each pick players in their game over and over.  Death always wins.  Think Romeo and Juliette, Helen of Troy and Paris, Antony and Cleopatra.  This is the story of a pair chosen to play the game, Henry and Flora.  It's set in mostly Seattle in 1937.  I guess I was thinking that Henry and Flora would be clever in overcoming the game and that would be fun.

I didn't actually find anything fun about the story.  It was mostly kind of ho-hum.  I didn't hate it, either, I just couldn't get worked up about it in any way.  I didn't develop a feel or love for the characters, who include Love and Death.  I found Death to be the most interesting, but I still felt like she didn't have as much characterization to her as I'd have liked.  Nobody else really mattered to me.  The story line felt a little slow and meandering.  Overall, I mostly felt bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment