Saturday, June 4, 2016

The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan

Davan really likes The Heroes of Olympus series by Rick Riordan.  She reads them in German and discuses them with her host sister, Sophie, who waits until Davan can get a German copy to read so they're reading them at the same time.  It's sweet.  Davan gets so excited about them coming out because of all this.  I, meanwhile, haven't read a single one.  I've read a few of the Percy Jackson books.  I kind of petered out with them after about the third.  Turns out I probably should have gone back to finish that series before starting The Heroes of Olympus, as they come chronologically after.  I have to say, though, that I don't think I will.

I read about a third of The Lost Hero before deciding to set it aside.  It's fine.  There's really nothing wrong with it.  I know many, many people like them.  I know that saying I don't feel the pull is akin to saying that about Harry Potter, which, really, I get.  I'm a big Harry Potter fan.  I own almost no books, but one that still sits on my shelf is a British version of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.  So, I really do understand adults enjoying "kids" books.  For whatever reasons (they're awesome), reading Harry Potter really worked for me.  I'm not drawn into these in the same way.  I get why they would appeal to kids, I just don't feel it for myself.

So, with plenty of respect for those of all ages who like the Rick Riordan books, I'm setting it aside knowing that while there is lots of fuss, it doesn't work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment