Thursday, June 23, 2016

Miss Mayhem by Rachel Hawkins

My audio book listening has slowed way down since Davan came home.  Often now, while I'm doing things I'd have listened to my book while doing before, Davan is around and we're listening to music together and interacting.  Also, we're taking a French class together this summer and I'm spending some of my audio time listening to French.  So, this latest audio book took me longer than normal to get through.

I loved Rebel Belle, the first book in the Rebel Belle series, so I was very excited when I got the notice that my hold was in on the Miss Mayhem audio book.  I had two other audio books queued up, but I started Miss Mayhem ahead of them.  Sadly, though, I was disappointed.

In this second book, I did not find nearly as much humor.  I did not like pretty much anyone's choices.  I thought the trials Harper had to go through to be kind of weak both plot-wise and in execution.  I considered not finishing it.  However, I did love the first book and maybe the third will be better?  So, I did power through.  Also, as I've said in my past couple of reviews, some of the problems I'm having with books may well be me.  Three print books and one audio book all together not going well may well be a sign.  (And I'm having a hard time getting into my latest try of print book.  Sigh.)  On the other hand, I've just done a quick look around and it seems I'm not the only one who thinks the second book did not live up to the first.  And the consensus seems to be that the third book is better than the third but not as good as the first still.  I may give it a try or I may let the Harper world go.

No comments:

Post a Comment